Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Flour Water Salt Yeast

We're totally digging Ken Forkish's book Flour Water Salt Yeast. After eating at Ken's Artisan Pizza in Portland last year, I couldn't wait for the book to come out. I don't proclaim to be some huge baker - especially when it comes to bread, but this book will go a long way in advancing your bread making skills. I initially bought the book for his opinions on pizza dough, but I found the bread sections to be very interesting and very relavent to understanding the mechanics of pizza dough as well.

Forkish masterfully explains the entire no-knead (stretch and pull) process of making bread. A good scale, plastic bucket, proofing basket, and cast iron dutch oven are really the only tools required. "No knead" to go out and buy an oven insert, or Kitchenaid.

I've pretty much started from the beginning the book and worked my way back. Right now I'm about halfway through the bread sections. I can honestly say that I haven't made anything that is merely average. The bread, especially the crust, is incredibly good.

The pictured loaf is the Overnight White Bread. Good stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment